AHPRA Help wanted! Anyone able to give me advice on a few things???

RegMidwife

I am a midwife hoping to emigrate with my husband and children. I am currently in the process of looking through the AHPRA application form and the whole thing is quite confusing and very overwhelming!

I have heard of people having errors with their CV and form and was wondering if anybody who has successfully gone through an AHPRA application could help me?

Many thanks

x

The most important thing, before you go any further, is that you are degree qualified. The second thing is that you have to have a skills assessment for anmac if you want a pr visa and both parties require the same documents certified etc, so it would probably be cheaper to get duplicate copies at the same time! I found it confusing but I printed off the application form for overseas nurses and actually, once I had that, found it only difficult making sure I had everything to submit as there is no mileage in sending a half completed application as they dont do anything at all until they have it all. Other than that it was actually easy in the end. I think their website isn't as clear as it could be but the form guides you through and theres a checklist at the end too. Good luck!

Thank you for responding :smile:

I am degree qualified with 7 years experience and hoping to go out on a 457 sponsorship visa.

I have heard from a few people saying that AHPRA have not accepted their CV as it was not completed in the correct order etc. I have printed off the guidelines for it but the section entitled /internship and observership' is confusing me. What did you put down for this section?

Also - 'Qualifications Obtained' and 'Qualifying Examinations' are 2 different sections - what do you put in each section?

For the 'Clinical/Procedural skills' do you just list the practical skills that are performed in your job? And do i need to show all my certificates for in house training etc? Therefore have them certified too?

Sorry to be a pain! I just really want to get it right first time

x

Fat load of help I am, I can't remember! I think the qualifying examinations etc might only be connected to bridging programmes etc. I can't imagine I filled in anything for this as I don't remember addressing it in my cv. Clinical/procedural, yes I just listed the skills and tasks for my role/ qualifications. I didn't list most of the inhouse training such as mandatory training as I figured it was irrelevant, but I did include any short courses that were adding to my skill set, but I didn't supply certificates for that. I think the guidelines they produce are for all eventualities so there will be local nurses for whom some of it applies, and then overseas nurses who will have different needs. I think thats the same for the internship/ observership. Newly qualified nurses have to do a transition to practice course over there so it might be that it relates to that? I don't remember it being complicated to do, and I hate doing those sorts of things so I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck! There are probably some old threads for AHPRA on here as we have all had panicky moments and periods of self doubt as the process is all quite daunting. There might be more info there, which will be of more use than me, who has wiped it from my mind obviously! I only submitted in October!

I am degree qualified with 7 years experience and hoping to go out on a 457 sponsorship visa.

I have heard from a few people saying that AHPRA have not accepted their CV as it was not completed in the correct order etc. I have printed off the guidelines for it but the section entitled /internship and observership' is confusing me. What did you put down for this section?

Also - 'Qualifications Obtained' and 'Qualifying Examinations' are 2 different sections - what do you put in each section?

For the 'Clinical/Procedural skills' do you just list the practical skills that are performed in your job? And do i need to show all my certificates for in house training etc? Therefore have them certified too?

x

Just a comment on the 457.

Are you fully aware of what the 457 visa is? You do appreciate it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to residence and you should treat as such. It is tied to the employer and that means you are restricted to that employer, if you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. In the past, I wouldn't have been too concerned with this for health professionals, but after both WA and QLD making large redundancies, it is something you need to be aware of.

There are other issues as well. If you have children, a number of states will charge for education to temporary residents - this can be expensive.

Partners of 457 holders can have issues finding work, because they are only temporary.

Children that reach university age, are classed as international students and subject to international fees. But, then on returning to the UK can be classed as international in the UK.

No social benefits such as childcare allowances.

I am a newly qualified nurse, so bare with me, my CV is short! haha! Hope this helps a little. Copy and paste onto word, then fiddle with the layout, put your details under the headings, it will soon start coming together.

Objective

Currently working within .................... I am seeking my first post in Australia as a registered nurse, and am particularly interested in working in the .............. Enthusiastic and flexible in my nursing role, I am approachable to all patients and carers, respecting individuality while adhering to legislation and local policies. I have a particular interest in ................; I initiated research in this.....and that ..... and have helped to influence ................. blah blah blah big myself up.

Education

put dates and title of degree, and university studied at.

Professional Membership

Registered nurse (UK) NMC PIN:..........

Employment

Registered Nurse September 2015 - Present

Dept, Trust, Employer

Four sentences here including stating the fact that I am full time employed, basic responsibilities etc etc And i then go on to list my competencies (I had about 25 listed) e.g.

Professional clinical skills competencies include:

-Vital signs recording and responding appropriately (pulse, temperature, respiratory rate, blood pressure)

-Wound care (appropriate cleansing, dressing, management of wound healing)

-Physical examination (adult/paediatric primary and secondary survey)

-Specimen collection (urine, stool, sputum, blood sugar)

-Insertion of nasogastric feeding tube

-End of life care and last offices

-Basic life support (initiating and partaking in CPR)

I would do this for each role youhave had which is pertinent to your experience, this was my first and only job as a nurse, so for the other jobs, I just listed the title, employer, the dates, and what hours I worked for them e.g

Nursing Auxiliary March 2014 – June 2015

NHS Trust casual employment, approx. 12hours/week

Volunteer First Aider October 2012 – June 2015

Company....... approx. 8 hours/week

Restaurant/Bar Work (Australia and New Zealand) Sept 2010 – June 2012

Casual employment while travelling, approx. 30hours/week

Retail Manager Sept 2009 – August 2010

Full time......company....location

Retail Supervisor March 2007 – August 2009

Supervising role while at university 20hours/week

Achievements and Continuing Professional Development

- Currently studying postgraduate Masters level course (gave details on course title, where I am studying what I hope to gain from it)

- Involved in ongoing research (stated who this was with, what this was about)

- Awarded University prizes and scholarship, gave details on what I done with these

- Presented poster entitled ................... at the ............Conference 2014.

References

gave the details on two band 8 nurses in my current job.

x

In your first post you mentioned you wanted to emigrate, in which case you should be aware that a 457 visa is not an emigration visa, it is a temporary employer sponsored visa a bit like a work permit. And in any case, there is not nearly so much nurse sponsorship now as there was in even the recent past.

You would be much better off looking into skilled migration, because this is a visa program that is suitable for emigration and provides permanent residency from the start. In this case, you would leave the AHPRA for now and focus on your skills assessment which is carried out by ANMAC. Once you have that and have lodged the visa application, you could start to think about APHRA registration, which is not required for the skilled migrant visa but is required to work in Australia.

I am a newly qualified nurse, so bare with me, my CV is short! haha! Hope this helps a little. Copy and paste onto word, then fiddle with the layout, put your details under the headings, it will soon start coming together.

Objective

Currently working within .................... I am seeking my first post in Australia as a registered nurse, and am particularly interested in working in the .............. Enthusiastic and flexible in my nursing role, I am approachable to all patients and carers, respecting individuality while adhering to legislation and local policies. I have a particular interest in ................; I initiated research in this.....and that ..... and have helped to influence ................. blah blah blah big myself up.

Education

put dates and title of degree, and university studied at.

Professional Membership

Registered nurse (UK) NMC PIN:..........

Employment

Registered Nurse September 2015 - Present

Dept, Trust, Employer

Four sentences here including stating the fact that I am full time employed, basic responsibilities etc etc And i then go on to list my competencies (I had about 25 listed) e.g.

Professional clinical skills competencies include:

-Vital signs recording and responding appropriately (pulse, temperature, respiratory rate, blood pressure)

-Wound care (appropriate cleansing, dressing, management of wound healing)

-Physical examination (adult/paediatric primary and secondary survey)

-Specimen collection (urine, stool, sputum, blood sugar)

-Insertion of nasogastric feeding tube

-End of life care and last offices

-Basic life support (initiating and partaking in CPR)

I would do this for each role youhave had which is pertinent to your experience, this was my first and only job as a nurse, so for the other jobs, I just listed the title, employer, the dates, and what hours I worked for them e.g

Nursing Auxiliary March 2014 – June 2015

NHS Trust casual employment, approx. 12hours/week

Volunteer First Aider October 2012 – June 2015

Company....... approx. 8 hours/week

Restaurant/Bar Work (Australia and New Zealand) Sept 2010 – June 2012

Casual employment while travelling, approx. 30hours/week

Retail Manager Sept 2009 – August 2010

Full time......company....location

Retail Supervisor March 2007 – August 2009

Supervising role while at university 20hours/week

Achievements and Continuing Professional Development

- Currently studying postgraduate Masters level course (gave details on course title, where I am studying what I hope to gain from it)

- Involved in ongoing research (stated who this was with, what this was about)

- Awarded University prizes and scholarship, gave details on what I done with these

- Presented poster entitled ................... at the ............Conference 2014.

References

gave the details on two band 8 nurses in my current job.

Wow, this is really helpful! Did you have to send off any copies (certified) of the clinical procedural skills you have listed. I know that probably sounds silly but who know what they want!

• 2 months later...

Hey keyliedonut!

Your CV example is good. For your professional clinical skills competencies that you listed, did you have to certify in anyway because those skills are general role of nurses.

Do you print out the e-learning modules certificate such as safe guarding adult and children, moving and handling, infection control etc?

I would appreciate your help

Thank you so much for replying Kyliedonut!

I guess I will list my skills and certificates that I have, I will send them just in case!

Can I ask which state you applied? Your AHPRA registration didn't take long at all :)

Me and my friend are planning Queensland.